Monday, July 23, 2012

Tranquility Bay


Dearest Blog Reader

I hope this blog finds you doing well. I am doing well. We had a bit if rain this past week. As a result, I cut the grass. Actually, I cut the buckhorn and queen Ann's lace in a strange game of connect the dots. These hardy species had sent their twenty foot long taproots half way to China in search of water. Luckily, those roots passed through the aquifer on their journey and sent back some signs that life will begin again after the rains return; all is not lost.

Bev, Grace and I went to Bloomington to celebrate our son's or brother's birthday. The scenery that I witnessed has forced me to apologize for all of the whining that I have done regarding the depth of the drought that we have suffered though at our house. I have seen the "drought" maps depicting severe and extreme areas of impact around the state. I admit that I coldly thought "six of one half a dozen of the other; bone dry is bone dry." How could things be any worse than they are here? After seeing the devastation, I admit that just south of Indianapolis towards Bloomington is a stretch of farm land is as bad as I have ever seen. I saw field after field where the corn had already been mowed off. Farmers are cutting their losses, hoping for a wet fall and winter, preparing for a better new season in 2013. It makes me sad.

As I said, on Saturday, we were on our way to celebrate Ben's birthday. The evening before Bev and I were playing a game of "What do you remember about the day?" in this case the occasion for these memories was the day of Ben's birth. Bev's memories were much sharper than mine. Ben was nearly two weeks late. She was nine months pregnant during those balmy days of July. Ben was our first child. The element, of the shear terror and warnings of the sisterhood of mothers who had gone through the pangs of childbirth, had apparently honed Bev's memory receptors to the consistency of superglue. She remembered what bed she had slept in the night before, the hide-a-bed. It had more room and was more comfortable. She remembered where and when her water broke; as she sat up in that bed. She remembered that the hospital room had no pillow; that the nurse asked the doctor what he was eating before he was called in to the delivery. She felt bad taking for Dr. Watson away from a shrimp dinner.

Alas, I remember wondering; can I get across the street to the little neighborhood ice-cream stand and back before Bev notices that I am gone? If I was sure that I could have returned with a pillow, I probably could have pulled it off (as long as I was careful not to drip chocolate ice-cream on my shirt front.) In an effort to recover for my poor showing in the remembering game, I furtively, typed in historic events on July 20. I was hoping to show that I could "remember" some grand event that happened on that day to show that I was alive and not in some comatose state of "I'm just along for the ride to dorkdom." Google, you let me down. Nothing.

I did see that Ben does share an anniversary date though with an important event. Apollo 11 landed on the moon a score of years prior to Ben landing on the hospital floor. "What Bev, you don't remember that Dr. Watson dropped Ben? I remember it as if it were yesterday." I do remember that lunar landing and moon walk. I remember sitting around our new color tv, hurriedly purchased 7 months earlier for Super Bowl 3, ironically waiting on those grainy black and white images to be transmitted across space and time to our living room. The house was filled with high school kids from the church group my parents led. There was food everywhere. It seemed that every light was on in the house, and we were waiting and waiting on Neal Armstrong to make his way down that ladder. My dad was sitting on an ottoman leaning in close to the TV so that he could hear Walter Cronkite above the din.

A box of firecrackers were at his feet, a lighter in his pocket. As soon as Neal had philosophized about steps and leaps, dad was out the door celebrating to such an extent that the next door neighbor called the police on us.  This was the moment of my father's apogee in my eyes; his giant step and leap all rolled into one. He told the officer, "What do you mean we can't? The President told us that this was a day of celebrating." That was the high point in my admiration for dad. He had captured the pride and exuberance that he had felt and let it out in the most rambunctious way he knew. When he was tsk, tsk, tsked by the world, he unabashedly said "No, I am called to celebrate and I intend to so just that." The officer, seeing the mood of the audience, left chuckling and shaking his head.

Like I said, that was the high point. I was never again so unabashedly in awe of the greatness of my dad. He was a great man. His greatness is firmly fixed in my mind. That was just the high water mark in my mind. He was often unabashed in his enthusiasms. It was me that changed. The next time he brought attention to himself, I am sure that some part of me was at least a little bit embarrassed. The ratio of awe to embarrassment would shift throughout the years as I worked to break free of his orbit.

Ben is breaking free of that same generational orbit. It is nearly complete. In fact, we were visiting him on the day after his birthday. The real party was Friday night. The one where "I've never had as big a party as that before; " a party with bands and friends and more friends; his lovely exuberant friends.

Yes, forward forty some years from those exciting times, I am sitting on the edge of my chair waiting for word back from a far and distant world. To paraphrase Neil Armstrong; "Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has flown."

Take care

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment