Saturday, August 4, 2012

Lamentations?


Dearest Blog Reader:

I hope this blog finds you doing well. I am fine. I am doing well during a mini three day vacation here near the end of what I like to call the effective summer. The effective summer is that time before you notice that the days are getting shorter, and sooner than I wish, I will be riding in the dark dodging assassin deer. It is an affliction that I suffer from because I don't live in the present well. It won't be long now before our house starts to empty out. Hillary, the Exodus intern will head back to Texas and then on to Sooner Nation. Exodus is an organization that helps international refugees relocate in the United States. Grace will be heading back to Ball State soon after. She will be there for her junior year. That junior year will culminate with her wedding next June. Times, they are changing.

While I am fine, I have been drawn into a period of lamentation. I have been trying to figure out why. Sure, part of it is emptying of the house. That's not all. I think it is a culmination of many things; Aurora, Colorado, the Presidential Campaign, a general sense that the goodness of the populous may not be enough to carry us through the tough times, tough times that are seeming to continue on and on, the hero worship of the Olympics. All of these things have taken a toll.

To top it off, I have been listening to a Prayer for Owen Meany. Like all of my literary adventures these days, it is an auditory excursion. My drive, a two hour daily commute, uses up all of my curl up with a good book time. But making lemon aide from lemons, I have plenty of time to have someone else read to me. A Prayer for Owen Meany is, pound for pound, the best book in the world for many Sharritts. We have each read it multiple times. In fact, they have multiple copies in the house, except for when we try to proselytize about its goodness, and give those multiple copies, save one, away to other people to read. I and my brood love the book. I think for many reasons. For me, it is the sense of duty; to persevere wherever God may lead you, to count the cost and follow anyway. It is a book about having faith through the veil of mystery. Another plus? It is a book that is been banned in several cities in the United States.

Don't get me wrong. A Prayer for Owen Meany did not cause my lament. It just honed it to the razor's edge. That honing is a good thing. As I have turned this blog over in my mind, it has struck me, that I do not do lamentation well. I do anger well. I start on a lament; pulling this thread, probing that theme and my anger is off to the races. Anger is a good rhetorical tactic. Shakespeare exploited it in Julius Cesar. Marc Antony "I come not to praise Cesar but to bury him." After a couple of times sarcastically calling Brutus an  honorable man, Marc was moving into the palace, and chasing after Cleopatra and Richard Burton was buying Elizabeth a really big diamond; ah, the disjointed cause and effect of history.

No, a lamentation is hard for me to write. I tend to trend toward and hang out with anger in my grieving process. Owen Meany has provided the sharpness, the raw sadness to at least make me consider staying with a lament.

I mentioned earlier that maybe the Aurora, Co. massacre, or the upcoming elections were triggering my mood. No something has been gnawing at me for a while. I have a firm belief the vast majority of people are very decent and kind. They act out of a sense of self-awareness that looks out for the welfare of others. However, recently I have started to doubt that. Something is off. I am full of doubt. As I have let myself drift in and out of the consciousness of this unease, circling in probing it, poking it with my toe, I think that the problem for me is that religion or morality or even goodness is often confused for political philosophy.

It is a confusion that is problematic. It is often couched in terms of what God intended. I think it is more accurately characterized as what I want God to intend. Who wants to be wrong in front of the big guy? I don't. If I can proclaim that we see eye to eye, that God agrees with the political philosophy of my large group of people, God is on our side and not yours, so sorry but you suck. It seems unlikely to me that in a fallen world in our fallen state that we would not divine that intention purely very often. Yet, we go around acting as if we and God are simpatico

I am sure that you have friends who you don't see eye to eye with who have reposted pages declaring "I am a ______." or "Being a ________ means." You fill in the blank  with either political label, and then they have a picture or series of statements claiming the moral high road of all aspects of the topic at hand. In reading or viewing these statements, I do get a sense that the "I'm okay. You're okay." philosophy is in this case abandoned. As I read these iconic tomes, I get the over riding sense that "I'm okay. You're not." is the message being communicated.

About a month ago, I saw a post by a friend proclaiming an affiliation that I don't share. It claimed the moral high ground; leaving people who vote the way that I do with a set of beliefs that are best described as undesirable. The thing that made me saddest was that it was posted by a friend who I have worked side by side with in a difficult situation. I would describe both of us as people of faith with a deep belief in God. It makes me sad.

I think that is at the root cause of my sadness. Not that people have lost their innate goodness, it's that half the political spectrum has condemned the other half to badness. In this political season, the ranks of the finger pointers grow. It's not that people have lost their innate goodness. It's that I have been accused by people I respect that I have no innate goodness within me.

Take care

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment