Saturday, August 25, 2012

A perfect 10


Dear Blog Friend

I hope that this finds you doing well. I am fine. It is official. I am starting a petition to the powers that be for an extra 4 to 5 hours every weekend. There is just too much fun to pack into 48 hours and get to bed early enough to function on Monday morning. Here it is 9:16 on Sunday night. There is no way that I will finish soon enough to get a good night’s sleep. Four hours would be just enough for writing and editing our time together each week. The fifth hour could productively be used napping each weekend.

Before I go much further, I want to give a shout out to the unidentified one or two faithful readers from Germany. I don't know you by name but you follow closely enough to always be one of the first to read new editions as they come hot off the press.

Wie gehts?

Ich gehts mir gut.

I hope that you are proud of me Mr. Thompson. It has been 32 years since high school German, and I did that unaided.

Last weekend at the Dunes was great. Yet, the pounding of the surf ground the topical ideas for last week’s blog into mental dust. So now, I have ideas for blogs backing up like planes on an O' Hare runway during a snowstorm in January. I have three right now. With each passing day, they grow more dated, old, and stale.

For example, the Olympics should not pass by un-noticed, escaping comment. I love the Olympics. It gives me the illusion of activity while sitting on the couch. It is almost as effective a WII fit. Also it provides me with a wonderful opportunity to ridicule people who are vastly superior to me. I think that Usane Bolt can run faster than I can ride my bike. I compensate by calling him Insane Bolt.  Gabby Douglas is so strong that she could crack walnuts with her toes. Yet, I must confess a bit of smugness when she fell from the balance beam. If you look on Wikipedia, her Olympic experience is footnoted as the first gymnast to win the all around gold but not medal in any of the individual events. That kinda knocks the shine right off that Wheaties box doesn't it?

More superiority? Let's look at water polo. Yes, water polo, a made up sport. I do believe that water polo players take the following trajectory on the road to Olympic greatness. They show up for swimming tryouts on the first night in their speedos, swim goggles hanging from their neck. They have the commitment, the dedication to be at the pool for three hours every day. They have a great human interest story that haunts them. They dream of Bob Costas interviewing them the night after their triumphant medal ceremony. "Sure the news of that devastating hang nail rocked my world, but after the shock of the news, I got back to the pool and rededicated myself to being the best Wheaties eating swimmer I could be." What they don't have is any speed.

So the coach comes along side and encourages them to become involved with the synchronized swim teams. That next evening they show up to practice with nose plugs and vaseline on their teeth "so that smile will shine" only to find that what they lack I speed they have not made up for in grace. Luckily, the water polo coach arrived a few minutes early and noticed that this person has some real talent; a fair amount of buoyancy and no respect for personal space. So after a few minutes of chatting with the water polo coach, the sync coach approaches this new Olympic star, suggests they pick up a funky swim cap with these weird ear things and hang around for practice. Here is a SAT clue for you college wannabees; water polo is to swimming as curling is to . . . .  That’s right C: ice hockey.

I am sure that you are wondering what I believe was the most incredulous moment of these Olympics. For me it was the reporting of these games. I remember vividly that one of the trending articles on Yahoo.com was “Why Doesn’t the Sand Stick Beach Volleyball Players?”. I was incredulous that more people would read that asinine article than will read my blog during the course of a 100 years. Everyone should know why sand doesn’t stick to beach volleyball players. It’s the Olympics people. It is made for TV drama. It is the world of make believe. They undoubtedly have a whole crew of people with little air compressors come out and blow the sand off of these modern day gods and goddesses. It is edited out and we see our heros sandless.

I shouldn’t be incredulous. I know that sex sells. Beach volleyball is all about the sex appeal. Come on, all of the beach volleyball players are past their prime real volleyball players who still look good in swim wear. All of them except Phil Dalhausser, he is a bit homely. (judging those who are infinitely superior to me.) Well in an effort to boost readership, I have decided to start wearing skimpy beachwear when writing each week’s blog offering. Let the blog views begin.

Best reporting of the Olympics? I am glad to say that it is the following sentence by yours truly. “Hope Solo, US Soccer goalkeeper, tweets about Olympic Village sex while keeping the ball out of the goal.” That is not a double but a triple entendre with a brutal ironic twist on the dismount and she stuck the landing. Hah. Most of my family members will say that I went too far for that obscure joke. They are correct, but it tickles my funny bone.

Worst color commentary of the Olympics happened during real volleyball. The US had a spectacular player with the unfortunate name of Destiny Hooker. She is tall, graceful, and a powerful player. After another great spike the color commentator said, and I quote “Hustling Destiny Hooker.” Really? Are you proud of yourself mister announcer guy? Did you get a round of fist bumps from the other color commentators while eating your shepherd’s pie down at the pub later that evening? Hustling Destiny Hooker – unbelievable.

Thank goodness the Olympics are over. A fortnight is enough. It is time for me to get off of the couch and do something while the world is dispersed for the next four years until the world comes together in Rio.

How will I cope? I suppose that I will bask in the knowledge that my teeth are straighter than Michael Phelps. What’s up with that?
 
Take Care.
 
Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment