Sunday, August 9, 2015

What you find on the road at 6:00 a.m.


Dear Blog Reader.

I hope that this finds you doing well. It leaves my hand doing better all of the time. The exercise of riding across Iowa took it out of me a little. My rump was sore. It is getting better. My lips were so chapped that it scared the dentist during my check up a week after RAGBRAI. I don’t know why he cared. He was wearing glove and a mask. How many of you remember the good old days when we drank out of garden hoses and the dentist dug around with bare hands. Any way my lips are healed.

I must say that the other reality that the passage of time has brought has not been as welcomed. Before RAGBRAI, I was getting a little bit of time in the sun during my ride. The last half hour had a promising glow followed by the first shafts of sun light fighting between the trees along my path. It has been fun to not worry about pot holes, or road kill or the occasional skunk. Suddenly, the light is fading fast as our half of orb we ride on is deciding to turn a cold shoulder on the love of its life. I now get just the faintest of glows in the eastern sky on the last two miles of my ride.

Soon, I will be sharing the dark with those holes, the road kill, and occasional skunk. Then just this past week, a new nocturnal creature has been joining me in the dark. I was powering through the last 2 miles of my ride on Wednesday. As I looked out across the yards up the road a pale, drawn, shape started to materialize in the gloom. Driveway after driveway was populated by the brooding shapes. Yes, school had started and the youths of America had been jettisoned from their warm beds, slipped on some cloths and made their way out the door to start their hour and 15 minute commute.

Now I used to walk up hill both ways to school in waist deep snow without shoes. In spite of these obvious hardships, I count myself lucky that I didn’t have to get on a bus at 6:00 a.m. to be at school by 7:30. What are people thinking? Did anyone in education read Lord of the Flies? Did they just assume that William Golding was an old curmudgeon who had it in for the school kids that walked across his yard and teased his dog in the back yard? Did they assume that he had no insight into how kids would behave unsupervised?

Let’s face it kids on the bus are unsupervised. Sure Jack Lovell would give us the evil eye watching us like a hawk while keeping one eye on the road hoping to stay out of oncoming traffic. Sure, we were threatened with “I’m going to tell your dad at lodge on Tuesday night if you don’t start behaving.” Mrs. Browning had a no talking “rule” as her nerves started to fray in the January ice and snow. But we were 20 feet behind them. They had a 2 feet by 6 inch mirror and 3 tons of long wheel base to keep on the road. Of course, we were unsupervised.

There were ears to be flipped. Spit wads to propel through our covertly smuggled straws. There was band candy to eat. Whose paper wrappers were casually crumpled and thrown on the floor 5 rows up so Missy Chesterton would be blamed for eating the contraband under the noses of “supervision.” We did all of that on a half an hour bus ride. Who knows the trouble that I could have created with 2.5 hours a day to work on it?

I usually have a solution. However, this time the bus has left the station so to speak. The battle was lost when we consolidated schools and abrogated parenting to the schools in many cases. I do not feel like railing against that lost cause tonight. It is what it is.

And what it is; is getting on a bus at 6:00 a.m. for an hour and fifteen minute bus ride does no one any good. The only thing that should be on the road at 6:00 a.m. are crazy bicyclists, pot holes, road kill and the occasional skunk.

Take care.

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment