Sunday, August 16, 2015

A list of all of the limerick submissions



At the Ijamsville railroad tracks site,
I picked berries with Grandmother White.
In the briars and heat,
She instilled the mystery of delight.



The crowds, the fatigue, and the heat,
Made biking the plains quite a feat.
But we were revived
By
Rathmacher pie,
And pedaled 'til RAGBRAI was beat.

 

Berta Winiker · Friends with Noelle Fell and 4 others

A gift for the Barnard boys
Mom collected their culinary joys
into a cookbook recipes were bound
For when the urge to cook was profound
Will they, or not, embrace bok choy?

Roger Sharritt

Once again I get to be judge
No room for wiggle or fudge
But if you want to win
It won't be a sin
If you want to give me a nudge

 


Dad taught us some colorful words,
While sneezing or milking his herds.
A belch of retreating
From all of the eating
Maggot meatballs and elephant turds.

 


The lady was asked to make and deliver,

A Pumpkin Pie for Thanksgiving Dinner,

The sugar was forgot,

But the salt was not,

And the pie was hardly a winner.

 


Dear daddy Doyle was great with a plow
Rain on cut hay would sure make him frown
Milking Holsteins to him was a hoot
Lots of manure he did everyday scoop
Or should I say fresh pie from cows

 


I ran to the barn across the lot
That darn rooster would let me not
Grandpa’s boot went up its a$$
He disappeared with a feathered mass
That night, Grandma’s fried chicken hit the spot

Bill Hoover

The Sista's were all in 4-H
and sometimes my tummy would ache
could it be the yeast rolls
had taken their toll
or 4 pieces of warm wacky cake

 


Mix sugar eggs cream salt and ice
it doesn't sound tasty or nice
separate properly and spin
crank by hand such a din
Oh the joy fill my bowl at least twice

 


Those Do De Ho kids are a hoot
I don't know for which I should root
They all have a time
Putting words to a rhyme
Tween the maggots and turds. . . .think I'll scoot

 


My Mom was a short order cook
But not in a diner or nook.
Eight kids round the table,
as soon as we were able,
She said, “Here’s the recipe book!”

 


When snow would block 500 east .

 It was time to get out the yeast.

 Cinnamon rolls we would bake

or maybe coffee cake.

With milk from the tank we would feast!

 


 It wouldn't be a Hoover Doo without a great big dinner
The pies desserts and such were better than state fair winner.
Aunt Doris's chicken and noodles .
Mashed potatoes (always oodles)"
I wondered why they were all thinner

 


 Baling hay I could get a great tan
Hot days in the parlor required a fan
Black and Whites gave milk a plenty
Twice each day in pounds; about 70
Butter by the case came from the Milk Man

 


 A memory from when I was two
In the garden with sis and the dew
A taste super sweet
It will never be beat
Snap peas some for me some for you

 


Cathy would try her best
To put brother Bill to the test
As hard as she tried
The cookies she'd hide
He'd find them under dad's desk

 


This Hoover Tradition's a hoot
Just like a 2nd grade toot
So as a rookie
I'll just ask for a cookie
And hope that I don't get the boot.

 


A young Charlie feeding the pigs he tries

Lugging the slop with grunts and sighs

The city slicker catches a sight of a sow

Climbing into a pen of another and learns how

A four hundred twenty pound pig can fly.

 


 I had the same problem first try
no shift enter had sent me awry
limerick writing is a chore
with Facebook as its core
technology sometimes make me cry

 


 Brother Bill is as smart as a prof.
Of his rhyming brain we shouldn't scoff.
Meta-limerick 'bout keys
Penned with obvious ease?
Well, now you are just showing off!

 


Today is the day he would be eighty-four.
He had two hollow legs to fill with still more.
Pork chops and gravy bread,
“Didn’t come out even” he said.
Plate spun and clattered causing ears to be sore.

 


On my sway into town he would wave
Drive in and pick up Mr. Dave
An educated burger
French fries in the merger
Oh great, the time it would save!

 


In from the barn at the counter he stood;
Mom had cut them in squares just as she should.
Pan of Mirro Joes,
Precisely in rows.
He gnawed fork in hand as a rabbit would.

 


 Our meatloaf was ground pork and ham.
Four sisters were a happy fam.
Casserole, broccoli,
And snowball cookies!
Dearest Mom, we still say, “Thank you, Ma’am.”

 

 


There once was a gal named Bonita
Who never had seen a fahita
But glasses clicked high
When she brought out her pie
To a crowd shouting. . . .Bon Appetita!!


Sunday’s after church, we’d go to KFC
To pick up a bucket of chicken with oh-so-much glee
We’d head out to the farm
To watch Peyton in all his charm
Only to fall asleep on the shag carpet by three

 


Old school Disney with Tinkerbell in flight
Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom fright
Dad in his chair, kids on the couch
Brother Bill would punch and we'd scream "ouch"
We had popcorn for supper on Sunday night

 


 It was a cookie cook-off.
To Janie Sharritt my had did I doff.
I thought I would win,
But my hopes hit the bin,
When James said "I can't piss Mom off!"

 


 A bucket of corn flakes.

Then bacon and hotcakes.

Milk from the cooler.

Can he get any fuller.

For Uncles breakfast that's what it takes.


 


There once was a whole clan of cousins
At Nettie we could number in dozens
in Sam's garden we would munch
on his tomatoes for lunch
in hopes he didn't notice the abductions


 


 I think you know what I mean
The competition is still quite keen
It is no joke
I have not misspoke
You guys are a writing machine

 


Come and meet my sisters penny
Oh, my there are so many.
They're lots of fun
In snow or sun,
And, wonderful cooks you'll agree.

 


Green beans growing, velvet and thick.
An eternity row, pick. Pick. Pick.
Work's good for the soul,
But my musings, on the whole:
Ben and Grace, aren't you feeling homesick?

 


 The hay help was always so cute,
Sending bale after bale up the chute.
Hand-mixer set to whirl,
By the crush of a girl.
She delivered cookies to each batch of brute.

 


 He would drag her out of bed before dawn,
to the barn she would head with a yawn.
But what she loved most,
was the bacon egg sandwich on toast
that was delivered before the cows were all gone.

 


 Hey you poets who still ride the fence
You too can add your two cents
It won't take long
Like writing a song
Tomorrow let judging commence

 


Not many stitches as kids cuz' their skin was so thick
But some, would eat too much pie and get sick
Cyndi the oldest then Jacob comes along
Renea , Lily and Amy always whistling a song
Could just one of you Rathmacher kids write a limerick ?

 


One of the Stilger kids heads to college this year.
Will the other two even shed a tear?
He hopes his mom’s on the level
Promising care packages of chocolate bars he will revel.
While dad celebrates with a beer.

 

From Amy
My mother insisted I write a limerick and rhyme

I thought it would be a waste of my summertime

I would get any kind of pie that Aunt bev could bake

So I might as well write for my dear mothers sake,

As long as I got an iPhone in the meantime?

 


There once was a Rathmacher mother
Who favored her son like no other
Maybe football is more fun
Than daughter number one
No sister can live up to my brother


 Freshman year he was a boy on my floor
Who I grew to love and adore
So for his birthday I baked
A great big chocolate cake
Now we're together forevermore

 


There once was a winner named Danielle
They said could write very swell
We thought she ought
But then maybe not
You see she's a newly wed. Oh well

 


Milking cows was quite the chore
Up by five and out the back door
"Got Milk?" You ask
With your white mustache
Did you think it came from the store?!?

 


Too many holiday favorites to list.
If they aren't on the table, they're missed.
Honey twist bread made from dough.
But that Macaroni and cheese though...
Those cooks deserve to be kissed.

 


Some pulls of a knob set the auger to rumble
Cow vittles called silage magically fall and tumble.
Rythm of each heap
'Bout put me to sleep
Arms wrapped ‘round the knees of a man tall and humble.

Joyce Young I know it is too late for the contest, but this just popped into my head while taking Sam to school this morning and so it must be shared.

Swiss steak for dinner or even French toast and bac’n
Scarce were the times we didn’t like what she was makin’
If there was a whine
As we began to dine
She pointed to a placard saying “kwitcherbelyakin”.

Bev Sharritt This just in from Cathy! She had some technical difficulties in posting.
It's been so amazin'
That we're all praisin'
The wonderful times we all had
With our great dad
Out on the hay we were raisin.

No comments:

Post a Comment