Sunday, May 10, 2015

Better Living Through Technology


Dear Blog Reader.

I hope that this finds you doing well. I am fine. The glorious moment that we have all been waiting for has finally arrived. That’s right! Black Raspberry winter is upon us. Last week we had highs in the 80’s lows in the 60’s. Tuesday this week the high will be 65. The lovely Miss Beverly has been using my Black Raspberry winter ravings as an opportunity to question my veracity. I have been defending my honor; exclaiming that it “really is a thing.” It has always been a thing. I have not been lying to you. Thankfully, Wiki has my back.

“Blackberry winter is a colloquial expression used in south and Midwest North America referring to a cold snap that often occurs in late spring when blackberries are in bloom.” True as cold snaps go a high of 65 isn’t much of a cold snap, but compared to 85 of last week, several people will be scurrying to find their light jackets. And as far as proof that I wasn’t just making this crap up, 65 for the high is proof positive that the old sage was correct once again. Another indicator, that reading this blog provides you with the opportunity to connect to a time that was simpler and wiser, is the rest of the Wiki entry.

“Another colloquialism for these spring cold snaps is “Linsey-Woolsey Britches winter”, referring to a type of winter long underwear which could be put away after the last cold snap.” No, you did not just read Lindsey Lohan B*&^%$es winter. Stick with me, slow down and read just a little slower. It will stop much confusion and misunderstanding down the road. Linsey-Woolsey Britches should read flannel sheets. That’s correct. It is time to put away the flannel sheets. The Wild Black Raspberries are blooming. Soon the lovely Miss Beverly will be donning her long sleeve shirt, coating herself with bug spray and wondering out to the raspberry patch to pick several gallons worth of God’s free goodness for cobbler and pie.

I live a paradoxical life. On the one hand, I rely on old sayings from my grandmother to explain why I needed to keep a jacket handy while heading out on a bright spring morning to do some sort of farm chore and on the other hand I am a slave to technology.

I love electrical doodads. I always have. For the younger readers in the audience, I was a young child when calculators made it to the main stream. I had to have one. Never mind that my mathematical requirements barely exceeded the need to add a series of 3 digits numbers with all of that messy carrying the number over to the next column. Besides my teachers were never going to let me use it for my homework. You had to mark out and show the carried number forward. You couldn’t just fake it and randomly make a scribble that could conceivably be that 10 you carried over from the ones column. You had to show that you knew the process. Still the Casio 5 function (yes, it could do square roots) 9 digit calculator in the Hooks (CVS) drugstore was calling my name. Never mind that it cost 40 dollars. I had to have it.

So I saved and I saved and I saved my money. I still remember taking it home and pulling it out of the box in its form cut Styrofoam perfection. I remember plugging the adapter in because we had no batteries at home and flipping the switch and having those green lit 9 digits stream across the screen. How was I to know that I would later be betrayed by the horizontal middle bar on the second digit when it failed to light and I wrote that the answer to 100 + 88 was 108 instead of the correct number, 188.  I should have known. If I had not been using a calculator, there is a chance that I would have known that there was not any ones to carry and it was a pretty simple calculation.

I have a long string of brief love affairs with electronic doodads. The calculator was followed by a portable cassette recorder, followed by a TI30, a calculator mandated by the chemistry teacher and had the added benefit of a biorhythm chart. It was such an eye opening experience to suddenly know that a chemistry test next Friday was out of the question. My intelligence biorhythm was off the charts low that week. This called for a preemptive sick day or three so that my brain would be fully engaged in the problems at hand. My chasing after the latest technology was severely hampered after I left for college.

I suddenly had no more disposable income to pay for my technology cravings. Those were lean years. The microwave, VCR, and CD player had to be postponed until other necessities like food, rent, diapers, and school books could be purchased. I am happy to say that one of the greatest advantages of the empty nest is that the technology chasing hounds are fully funded once again and I am free to pursue my quarry once again.

I have numerous gps biking computers. Thankfully, the folks at Garmin have made improvements every year. I can now take my bike with me to another state. Put the Garmin on my bike, ride for 50 miles and have some assurance that I will get back home. It is very liberating. What isn’t liberating is that, there are times when I can’t proclaim if my bike ride was good or not until the data from said bike ride has been uploaded to the web and compared to the bike rides of millions of other riders.

My quest for gadgets that map out my life; that record the statistics of all things Roger has taken me into the realm of fitness bands and smart watches. This is for a good cause (I tell myself). The health plan at work has an incentive for healthy living activities. Last year, we were able to put our steps in from any old pedometer and if a certain level was reached a discount was offered for your health insurance. As with many things done on the honor system, it was ruined by the dishonorable. So this year in order to stop the cheating (1,000,000 steps in 3 months), participants have to log steps through an unalterable fitness band hooked up to an app on the internet. So I had to buy a fitbit.

Then the apple watch went on sale. (well sort of. You sale leaves a connotation that when you buy it you actually get to take possession of it. Not buy it with the promise of getting it some day at some point in the distant future.) Well I could tell that the apple watch could do so much more that the fitbit. It would take your heart rate, tell how long you had been sitting, and make several general observations about the overall welfare of your life. (Real time biorhythms). However, it cannot tell you how well you sleep. The fitbit can though. I have found out that I spend 8 hours in bed to get 6.5 good hours of sleep. The rest is spent tossing and turning, and getting up to relieve my 52 year old bladder. In fact, I did not know how poorly I was sleeping before I owned my fitbit.

All of this and I have still been thwarted because I do not know how fast my heart is beating (or even if it is beating for that matter.) To make matters worse, it may stop beating before an apple watch would ever be delivered. Thankfully, Microsoft created the Band. It does the heart beat thing. I am glad to know that my heart is beating. In fact my heart beats at a leisurely 42 beats per minute when I am sleeping soundly. Which isn’t very long each night. Remember the tossing, turning and relieving. I must admit that I am relieved that I have documented proof of a beating heart.

All of this chasing around for something that is as plain as the nose on your face is a bit silly. Of course my heart beats, exercise is good for me, if I ride north for a while, east for a while, south for the same while as I road north and back west, I will get back to where I started. If I don’t get enough sleep during the night a quick nap at lunch will set things right.

Still I chase, not trusting that after the cold snap that accompanies the blooming of the black raspberries it is safe to take off the flannels.

Take care

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment