Saturday, March 22, 2014

I was happy when?


Dear Blog Reader

I hope that this finds you doing well. I am fine. Today is a big day. As I start to write, it is early Saturday morning. I hope to write until daylight, and then get on my bike and start the serious work of 80 miles. This will equal one half of the Ride Across Indiana ride that will be happening in July. I am excited and a bit scared. 160 miles in one day is a greater challenge than any I have faced on a bike. One of the questions old people are asked from time to time is do you wish that you would have done anything different. For me it will be one thing when I get asked that impertinent question by some whippersnapper. I should have ridden across Indiana when I was 21 years old. That would have been easy peasy.

As I have been out riding more, I have encountered more and more of nature. The glowing eyes of raccoons and opossums have been tracking me from the side of the road. Last Wednesday evening, I interrupted a herd of does having a baby shower for the next generation of assassin deer. That’s right. I came over a rise in the road to find 8 pairs of eyes staring at me from the side ditch. The ensuing panic sent deer running every where. If they ever shift from flight to fight, I am a dead bicyclist. A look at the calendar shows that the next generation of my enemies will be hitting the ground in about 8 weeks. It appears that the go to gift for fawn showers is the Propeal antler sharpener; “as seen on TV.”

The hunt continues for the Malaysian flight. If you are a passenger on that flight and are violating the no electronic devices rule and reading this blog, send me a text; “Oli Oli In Come Free.”  You have been hiding long enough. The news coverage is getting out of hand here. The lack of information has created an information vacuum and as everyone knows nothing fills a vacuum like stupidity; well that and the little beads from a bean bag chair that has exploded after trying to body surf across the kitchen floor. It is hard to fill the time of wall to wall coverage with; “it still has not been found.” I admit that last week I offered a bit of speculation as to what happened. My thoughts about its disappearance being rapture related generated a couple of interesting responses. The best was “I never thought that heaven’s population would be skewed so heavily to the Asian race.”

After listening to two weeks of speculation, I am sad to say that my rapture bit isn’t that far out of the mainstream. I have heard the Bermuda Triangle, alien abduction; the CIA stole it, terrorists, pilot suicide. The dumbest one by far is “could the disappearance have been caused by a black hole?” Really, Mr. Newscaster? That’s what is rolling around in your pea sized brain. You do realize that the gravitational pull of a black hole is strong enough that it sucks in everything; whole planets, galaxies, are sucked in by a black hole’s gravitational pull. Even light speeding by (at well the speed of light) can’t escape the forces exerted by a black hole. It would be more likely that Scotty was the engineer on that flight and he got the warp drive working at Captain Kirk’s insistence and earth was sucked in by the black hole and they escaped. Right now, the Malaysian flight is looking to land on Mars. Its passengers wondering “was I just left behind?”

Don’t you have to question the value of a humanities education when it leaves you with the impression that it is possible that a plane was gobbled up by a black hole lurking around Asia some place. I mean really at some point one has to consider unplugging life support in this case. There is no discernable brain activity.

I was sucked into a metaphorical black hole just last Sunday. You will remember that it was cold, gray and windy. I had just sat down in front of a little electric space heater, a quilt thrown over my shoulders. The warmth and the noise of the little fan transported me through time. One of my earliest memories is sitting in front of the dryer in the laundry room of our home. For some reason, there was a hole in the venting near its front that let warm moist air escape into the house. I remember spending hours in there. I remember the slight clunk of an out of round drum, the whir of the motor and the warm moist air enveloping me. I learned to tie my dad’s work shoes there. Practicing the loop, loop, over, under and through over and over until I could pass kindergarten. Maybe I had to learn to get into kindergarten. I don’t remember. I would mourn when the cloths would get dry and became very excited when using a stool, learned to turn the knob and add more time.

As I grew older, and became useful on the farm for bucket feeding calves and other chores, the visits to the dryer became fewer and farer between. That is when I found the chair in front of the bulk tank cooler. It was an aluminum lawn chair with green and white webbing that sat in the milk house. For warming effect and mesmerizing mechanical noise it was a stealth bomber compared to the biplane of the dryer.

The bulk tank cooler was a heat pump that through the application of gas laws, using Freon, compressors and two huge fans would cool 300 gallons of 100 degree cow’s milk down to 36 degrees in about 3 hours. It was a serious example of the laws of thermodynamics. It also created a lot of heat, but it was a dry heat. For those humanities educated newscasters, a black hole came down and sucked all of the heat out. That heat, the wind blowing across your body, and the mechanical noise of the vacuum pump and pulsators from the milking equipment all combined to the perfect resonance for who I am way down in my core. In my core, I am an introvert. I am a day dreamer. I like a bit of background noise to sooth my slightly autistic tendencies. I loved sitting in that chair.

I loved it so much that my dad spent years chasing me away from there, giving my tasks to fill the time, so I wouldn’t be found there feet propped up, day dreaming, or napping. He rightly knew that discipline and ambition when not naturally present were lessons to be taught and learned. He was persistent and at times frustrated by my persistence. A kid asleep in a chair wasn’t going to feed very many calves. Over time the lessons paid off. The time in front of the heat became a reward and a not a right.

I am grateful for that lesson. I am living the dream. I am married to the lovely Miss Beverly. I have lovely well adjusted kids, a good job, and good home. I am blessed. I am blessed like I never would have been blessed if left to sit in front of those fans to while away the time. And you know, some day when that young whippersnapper asks me when I am 149 years old, “when where you happiest?” I will say “when I was sitting in that chair in the milk house.” It was nice to visit last Sunday.

Take care,

Roger.

No comments:

Post a Comment