Sunday, March 2, 2014

Despair on the corner of Happy and Healthy?


Dear Blog Reader.

I hope that this finds you doing well. I am on the mend. My health has been a bit rocky the past three weeks. I have not been my usual robust self. I have a theory. I believe that the doctor who performed the colonoscopy three weeks ago must have been the spawn of Lex Luthor. Upon seeing the Superman qualities “colon of a 20 year old”, he jealously left behind a trace of kryptonite. In the intervening weeks, this green glowing outer space element has been sapping the strength from me. This sapping has left my constitution a bit weakened. First, I succumbed to a really bad sinus cold and then this week I came down with . . . with . . . “male pattern baldness.” Thaaaaaat’ssss right. Let’s just say that I had a really bad case of “male pattern baldness.” So bad in fact, it was untreatable.

So buckle on your reading glasses. Sit back and prepare to be amazed as I regale you with my trials and tribulations trying to find a prescription for “Rogaine”.

On Thursday, I woke up and looked into the mirror and said “Egads, I appear to have come down with a mild case of “male pattern baldness” overnight. My appearance now makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.” By the end of work, what with being around people staring at me, hearing their snickers as I passed, once swearing that I hear a whispered “old baldy”, I had decided to be proactive and seek medical attention. I wasn’t going to tough this one out. Besides, things had proceeded from a bit uncomfortable to “darn that hurts my feelings.”

I phoned the lovely Miss Beverly and told her of my plans. She suggested that I stop by minute clinic. They had helped her with a similar situation a couple of years ago. It is hard to believe that the perfection that we know of as the lovely Miss Beverly ever suffered from a thinning pate; she with the thick and gorgeous raven hair. No problem, “male pattern baldness” isn’t brain surgery after all, I’ll go to minute clinic

Using all of my internet savvy, I found a Walgreens on the way home. “Walgreens at the corner of Happy and Healthy”, the corner of Happy and Healthy is just a couple of blocks off of my usual route home. And look there, it appears you would have less than a 30 minute wait. This is not bad for the cure for “male pattern baldness”, which if left unchecked might leave me a feverish ball, curled up on the bathroom floor sobbing after finding clumps of hair on the brush.

Well let me tell you the corner Happy and Healthy has its trash picked up in the alley of Despair. I go in. I see only one person in the waiting area. Great! I sign in on the kiosk. Yes, I can pay. I am no doctor, but I am sure that “male pattern baldness” is a minor illness. I mean I can still go to work. It isn’t contagious. I didn’t need an ambulance for transport. Yes, I am here for treatment of a minor illness. I pressed enter. I looked up at the waiting room screen. Roger Sharritt is second in line. Cool. I walk over to the waiting area and take up a seat well away from the woman who is suffering from a major illness from the sound of that hacking cough she has. She is going to throw a lung if she isn’t careful. I sit down, pull out my ipad and I overhear her say “that’s weird; I was first on the waiting list now I am third.” That is weird, and stupid and a poor way to deal with customer service. It appears that like a five star restaurant, you can make a reservation at the corner of Happy and Healthy.

How un-American is that? If I wanted to make a reservation, I would have called my regular doctor and made an appointment. It has always been survival of the fittest in the clinic waiting room. Americans know and accept this. You go in sign the paper and sit down with the rest of humanity in that putrid ark of contagion. You sign the paper and you know that you are 18th, or 10th or even (hallelujah) 3rd. Even if you are 18th, you have a little bit of hope. You look around the waiting room and you figure that there is a good chance 1, or 2, on a good day 3, of your compatriots aren’t going to make it. It is the law of averages. One or two of these poor souls are not long for this world and this line is too long. But at the corner of Happy and Healthy, you can get bumped by the unseen, the unknown gods of the internet. A little tip from your Uncle Roger, make an appointment. It appears that they will hold it for you so that when you come waltzing in for your TB test 5 minutes late, you are first in line. Yes the corner of Happy and Healthy has trash pick up in the alley of Despair. Now I am not making any crazy suggestions because it would be mean. I wonder what would happen, if all the friends of the blog logged on to different public access terminals and made reservations at the corner of Happy and Healthy completely randomly. No! Don’t do that, or at least use a fictitious name if you choose play around.

As you can imagine after waiting for an hour and a half, I was becoming quite crazed. The fever from my “male pattern baldness” was starting to affect my lucidity. But the door had opened; the angel of mercy had said “Roger Sharritt.” I was leaving the alley of Despair and going in the front door at the corner of Happy and Healthy. The nurse practitioner had some important information to get from me, my insurance card, my license, the answer to the question “why did you choose Walgreen’s?” Only searching for relief of my malady, I gave her my card, my license and my answer. “I heard that you had world class treatment.”

Appeased and a bit pleased, the nurse practitioner asked “so what’s the problem?” I like that-- short and to the point. No need to ask about the dog, the kids, no comments about the interminable winter, just, so what’s the problem? I took a deep breath and said “I believe that I have “male pattern baldness”.” She looked at me with wide eyes which I mistook for disbelief me being such a handsome man. She shook her head slowly from side to side and said “I am so sorry.” I briefly thought to myself that is the most empathy I have ever heard from a health care practitioner. I found myself wanting to change my answer. “I chose Walgreen’s because of how much you care.” Then her next words slowly registered. “I’m sorry we don’t treat “male pattern baldness”.” I confirmed what she had said by asking “What?” “We don’t treat “male pattern baldness”.”

The way that she said it led me to believe that they did treat female pattern baldness; which I had assumed since they had cured the lovely Miss Beverly, the woman of the thick and luxuriant raven hair. Sure enough, way down in the fine print they only treat female pattern baldness even through we are all created equal. I have checked it out with real doctor’s receptionists since.

Universally, two real doctor’s receptionists say that’s the stupidest thing that they have ever heard of. Rogaine is the answer. Besides if Rogaine isn’t the answer, I am not going to postpone follow up care. I doubt that I could have made it past day 3 of a 5 day script without some relief. I was starting to dread walking by a mirror just thinking about the grief my reflection would cause. If the Rogaine didn’t help, I would gladly go to the Mayo Clinic for follow up care and a possible a cure.

I was shocked and stunned when the practicing nurse said that she couldn’t help. Where was I, Arizona?  Walgreens can’t treat “male pattern baldness” on religious grounds? It’s just company policy sir. I hate to berate the underlings for company policy. With my composure and my hat slipping, I just said “I just waited an hour and a half for some relief from my “male pattern baldness”. I am just leaving before I make a fool of myself.”

“But sir.”

“Good bye.”

I left the clinic but somehow remembered that I was to pick up hotdog buns to compliment the lovely Miss Beverly’s supper. No problem. Drug stores have long ceased selling only controlled substances. Less than a quarter of the floor space in most stores is used to sell drugs. On the way in, I had seen that they had a well stocked grocery area. Alas, it appears that the corner of Happy and Healthy does not let the weenie man set up his weenie stand out front where he could sell most anything from hotdogs on down. Who know what happened to his dreamy weenie fiancĂ©? I suppose that she is in the alley of despair. They sold no weenie buns. Don’t know the reference? Your parents should have sent you to camp, and you should send your kids this summer.

I drove home hat pulled firmly down over my head, gritting through the discomfort of “male pattern baldness”, completely bunless. What did it mean? Was I the victim of religious discrimination, cruel bigotry, medical ineptitude or bad market segmentation? I only know that it is a cruel world that forces a man to keep his head hidden while leaving his weenie naked.

Take care,

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment