Saturday, March 17, 2012

Effects of Global Warming?


Dear Blog reader:

I hope this finds you doing well.  I am fine.

Couple of weather related notes: Punxsutawney Phil is a liar, hoax, and a fraud. On February 2, he boldly proclaimed "six more weeks of winter" in a year when we had had  two days  of winter, and now 42 days later, we are experiencing summer gas prices and getting ready for the first lawn mowing of the season. So if you want to go to Punxsutawney in the late winter to try to catch a glimpse of Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell as they live out their blessed days fine. So be it! But if you want to see the oracle of all things weather for the late winter and early spring, you have been forewarned. To be forewarned is to be forearmed and I figure that to be forearmed is a good thing; because the bullies at school would just tease you and call you stumpy if you weren’t. . . forearmed, I mean.

Speaking of summer gas prices; is it me or do summer gas prices get put out in the stores earlier and earlier?  I remember when we didn't see them before Mother's day (love you ma! Don't worry. The flannels are still on the bed.) Now, it’s St. Patrick’s Day and gas prices have been going up for the summer driving season for 2 weeks.

I am managing to find a way to suffer through the effects of global warming. What with sleeping with the windows open and the ceiling fan on and trying to ignore the blaring ancestral warnings about the proper time to remove the flannel sheets playing in my head, I have not found the last week to be a restful one.

"I'm hot."

"Look at the calendar boy! If you're not careful, the weather will change, and you'll catch your death.”

“I’m hot.”

“Your death will be on your hands then. I wash my hands of any responsibility, if you won’t listen to reason. Every fool knows that you leave your flannies on the bed and keep your jacket zipped up until after Easter. You can unzip the jacket at Easter but leave it on until Memorial Day.”

“But Easter happens on a random day each year. It can be as early as March 23rd or as late as April 23rd. So shouldn’t we just decide to unzip our jackets when we get hot.”

“Don’t sass me boy. You’re great uncle Tony; God rest his soul, sassed momma in 19 and 30 and look what it got him.”

“What are you talking about? I don’t have a great uncle Tony.”

“Exactly my point. You don't have one now, but you had one; a long time ago. It just brings the family so much pain that we rarely talk about it. In 19 and 30, Tony told momma that it was too hot to wear a coat. It was the middle of March and while on our 5 mile uphill walk to school, a cold front blew through. Tony was freezing. He begged me for one of my extra sweaters. I just scoffed and told him that it served him right for sassin momma like that. Not listenin to her. Not doin what he was told. Well, about that time, the Timmons’ kid came by in his old Ford. Stopping and rolling down the window, he told Tony that he sure looked cold and that he was heading our way any how. He would give us a ride. Tony hopped in. I of course was warm as toast and was too good to get in any car with a Timmons; so off they went in a cloud of dust. Up around the curve in the road a duck was moving her brood across the road, the car swerved, rolled down into a ditch and Tony, your great uncle, was lost to the angels. He caught his death because he didn't have his coat.”

“That is terrible. But isn’t that a cautionary tale to promote the use of seatbelts and defensive driving not the advocacy of wearing winter clothing until mid-summer?”

“Don’t sass me boy.”

Take care, and don’t catch a chill

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment