Monday, January 19, 2015

Cloths Folding Machine


Dear Blog Reader,

I hope this letter finds you full of hope, as I am, one week after Roger’s post about cleanliness, consideration for others, and how your mother can really get into your head. It’s me, The Lovely Miss Beverly with a guest follow up blog.

I woke up this MLK Day, early, ready to head to Monday Morning Book Club, and with a full slate of vacation day activities lined up after that. I walked into the laundry room to pull a pair of pants out of the clean basket, and was stopped short. Flabbergasted. The laundry was folded and in neat piles. Not just any neat piles either, but piles sorted by person and type of garment—down to the dress socks not comingling with the athletic socks (mental note: maybe a good activity for this day celebrating unity  would be to just designate one big sock drawer.) In other words, the laundry had been done exactly like I would have done it, except that on Sunday, I had been knitting and watching football on the couch for 7 quarters. My 8th quarter response to the Patriots trouncing of the Colts was to hunker down under an afghan and fall asleep. So I was sure that it wasn’t a short term memory thing, and I hadn’t forgotten that I had actually done the laundry the day before, because THAT is what it looked like.

 It was like some extremely considerate person had studied how I sort and fold at the same time and did it to my exact specifications.  It was like the voice of my 30 year old self whining and cajoling about the proper processing of laundry had been shouted into a long arc that finally fell back to earth and reached my 50 year old husband’s ears. My long term memory, unlike my short term, holds a pretty clear picture of that 30 year old self. The Young Lovely Miss Beverly is beginning to learn how to juggle life on a farm, a teaching career, and a family. She wants a lot out of life, including a husband who might want to get on board with an efficient way of keeping clothes clean and unwrinkled. Among many other things.

My image of that younger me comes into focus through a [RS1] gently lit lens. I would just like to reach back through time, pat her on the head and say, “you want so many things . . . maybe you should slim down the list . . . “  I see that she has not yet humbled herself to go see a therapist alone and with her husband and sort through the “many other things” that she does and, as it turns out, does not want. One of these things, along the way, was a husband who did everything just like she did. Somewhere in those decades she was guided by many an agent of the Holy Spirit to see that Roger’s love for her wasn’t about bending him to her will.

My friend Cyndy has a great metaphor for seeing a therapist also involving laundry. She says that you go to see a therapist because you are just a traveler, heading through say, an airport, trying to get to the plane, and your clothes are bulging out the sides of your suitcase, causing it to pop open and spill out everywhere. The therapist bends down with you in the middle of the chaos, helps you to take everything out, refold it, and hopefully repack it in such a way that you get to the gate without incident. I would add to the metaphor that the therapist (or pastor, or trusted wise friend) helps you see those around you as fellow travelers, with their own luggage dangerously close to popping open, or with at least one bra strap sticking out. For Roger and me, I would add that we have learned when to say, “let me carry that for you,” and “why are you putting that back in your bag? It is heavy, and it still doesn’t fit.”

The hope that I expressed at the beginning of the post emerged from the revelation of this transformation over time. It was the miracle of the perfectly folded laundry at 6:30 on a Monday morning, except it wasn’t about the laundry. I stood mute, with only Henry and Hugo looking on, reverently wagging their tails. I thought, this is the hard fought miracle of refusing to say, “They will never change”.

I went to the bedroom hoping Roger was awake, but he wasn’t. “Roger.” I whispered.

No response.

“Roger!” I couldn’t leave the house without saying something.

“mmmm. What?”

“You folded the clothes just like me!” I whisper shouted.

Mumbling sleep sounds followed by silence.

“Should I explain later?”

“mmmm. I’m sleeping.”

For now, I would have to ponder the mystery on my own. My own crazy luggage-repacking transformation would intersect with his later in the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment