Sunday, December 7, 2014

I've Said What 200 Times?


Dear Blog Reader:
I hope that this finds you doing well. It leaves my hand doing better than I have done in a few months. It also finds me at the start of our 200th blog together. I am perseverant. You are easily amused. I appreciate both.
On average, it takes two to three hours to put down what is on my mind. People ask me (I’m delusional. Actually, I ask myself) “how could you have better spent that four to six hundred hours over the past 4 plus years?” Sure I could have spent it finding the cure for cancer or even more significantly, discovered the mysteries of teleportation (or teletransportation depending if you are a tomato or tomato person. (It never works in print.)) It is true that I have long wanted to discover the secrets of teleportation. I have seen this dark art’s usefulness since the early days of Star Trek. (Yes, I was there for the original.) I want teleportation all for myself. I would never fly or drive again. I would move all of the gold out of fort knox to my back bedroom. If I ever developed cancer, I would find a way to teleport myself from here to there and leave the cancer here; effectively curing cancer and discovering the secret of teleportation; a two-fer so to speak. I would do all of these things and find ways to spend the remaining 50 hours keeping it out of the hands of the N oncompliant S entinals of A merica.

Actually, both of those noble pursuits would take too much effort. I may start for a day or two. Then, I would figure out that I would have to relearn calculus which I did not learn very well the first time and give up. Without the blog, I would have ended up looking at pictures of cats in ridiculous outfits on Facebook. They would be looking back into the camera with eyes that seem to be saying “Shoot me now. Please.” I know that this is true. It is what I do now. Come on, I surely have had more than 600 hours of useful free time in the past four years, and I wasted every one of those precious hours looking at those stupid forlorn cats.
The first paragraph of this post testifies to doing better than I have done in several months. I would write about it but I have a hard and fast rule that there are parts of my life that I do not write about. I know that you think I am simply teasing. However, I am not. I am amazed at stories of people who post things on their wall or Facebook status and are flabbergasted that there are ramifications. They write the school food sucks and are surprised when they find a loogie in the mystery meat the next day. Come on dude; use your brain. You are not the first person who couldn’t go around saying whatever was on their mind.

I suppose that honor would go to Jesus. Yes, that Hispanic man who lived in the Middle East 2000 years ago. Isn’t it obvious that God said no posting anything about the “Kingdom of God” on Facebible? Seems pretty obvious to me. So what did we get? We got parables. “He who has ears let him hear.” The next thing you know you have mustard seeds, lost coins, lost sheep and seeds on the hard ground, but no dishing on the Kingdom of Heaven.
So in the manner of all great story tellers, here is a parable. There once was a dedicated Christmas pageant director named Marge down at the local church. Every year, she got the children to stand in straight rows, make cherubic hand gestures, sing their songs, and dress in homemade angel wings, and sheep costumes, all the while looking adoringly at the manger with the stars of the show, Mary and Joseph (who am I kidding only Mary, Jo is an extra) singing a couple of verses solo. Marge worked very hard. She had call outs right after Halloween. She knew that the kids would still be on their sugar high from the Halloween candy that first Sunday but there were only so many Sundays and Christmas Eve was only 54 days away.

This year she chose Cindy McDermit to be Mary. Cindy was a precocious fifth grader. Her ascendancy to the role of Mary was, like a good Calvinist, pre-destined. She had steadily moved up through the ranks the previous 4 years. She had been the lead sheep her first year; bleating “let us go see the King.” Her second year she was Harold the Hark Angel singing Gloooooooooooo oria. Her third year she nearly stole the show giving baby Jesus his present of Gold. Last year, Cindy would have been Mary but the preacher’s daughter had never been Mary and it was her last chance; politics. Cindy readily agreed to be the little drummer boy and people commented that the rumpapumpums had never been crisper.
It was Cindy’s year and this was going to be the greatest Christmas pageant ever. In fact, the director used this year to order new music and arrangements for the pageant. In an effort to modernize things, there would even be angel tweeting; #haroldtheharkangelsays “get down to Bethlehem you smelly shepherds.” It was time. It was big, and with Cindy in the lead it wasn’t that big of a risk.

However, even at this young age, Cindy was a very busy person. She was in the school play. She started basketball right after soccer. She was running all the time. As a result, there wasn’t time to completely learn the lines by the Sunday before Thanksgiving. That’s okay there was Thanksgiving vacation. The kids could come in Friday, and Saturday for a little extra practice. However, Cindy’s family was out of town. There would be no extra practice. The calendar turned. The Christmas Eve deadline neared. The lines weren’t perfect yet and the pageant director started to lose sleep. She spoke words of encouragement to the kids. Things were going to be fine. She told the kids and herself. She lost more sleep. She just needed Cindy to have one good practice and lock those lines down.
That practice was scheduled from 1 to 4 on the Sunday before Christmas. The first two hours would be with Cindy and the other leads. The last 2 hours a dress rehearsal for the big night in three days on Christmas Eve. Then it happened. Cindy’s mom called at 9:00 on Sunday morning to say that Cindy wouldn’t be able to make it to practice she was very sick. Hopefully, she would be well enough on Monday or Tuesday to come to another practice but there was no way today.

At that moment, a wave of peace came over the pageant director. The pageant was going to fail. There was nothing that could be done to help Cindy learn her lines. Suddenly, there were no plans to shift, no shortcuts to find, no false encouragement to give. The new and improved pageant was too much to bite off. However, the die had been cast and with no ability to change the outcome, Marge was able to accept it and let the peace of that acceptance come over her. She slept like a baby once again.
A few weeks ago, I wrote about the theme of these 200 posts. I jokingly said Assassin Deer and flannel sheets. The lovely Miss Beverly is also a common theme. Actually there have been two Rogers saying what this past four years. One Roger likes to pull the pin on verbal hand grenades and offer his opinions about how ridiculous he finds situations and people. These rants have grown fewer and farther between. While fun and cathartic, expressing strident opinions doesn’t do much. They are like street lamps on a very dark and lonely road. They attract like opinioned people search for company, but they change no minds and bring about some frustration because the individuals in the group can’t understand why the world isn’t different when everyone they know are just like them.

The other Roger has found overtime that he has a knack at letting people explore three needs in their lives; who are they, who they are becoming, and the tribe to which they belong? The posts,that have struck the greatest chord with you, have described situations of who I am at that moment, provided a small glimpse of who I am becoming, and a fuzzy picture of the tribe. Don’t think that it is an open book or a very clear picture. As I said, there is a policy about not writing about some things and some people, and I often don’t see the pictures of what I can write about clearly enough to describe it. They are just glimpses, stitched together in a chain 200 links long; some strong, some very weak. In the end, I find myself sleeping better.
Take care.

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment