Tuesday, August 19, 2014

We have a New Winner in the Hoover Limerick Challenge

Dear Blog Reader
I hope that this finds you doing well. I am fine. I am getting back into the swim of things after a week of glorious vacation in SW Michigan. The week was a wonderful opportunity to unplug and get away from the daily drive to work. The lovely Miss Beverly and I were able to spend some quality beach time. In a significant development, the lovely Miss Beverly accompanied me on a 50 mile bike ride. By the end, I think that she was ready to go down to the bike shop and buy a cool looking bike jersey. You know the ones with the three pockets on the small of the back. Bev's bike geekdom is just around the corner.

Life continues to come at us at a dizzying pace. Taking my limerick judging duties very seriously, I took quality time to read all 32 submissions. I pondered and pondered. I read them out loud into my iphone. This allowed me to close my eyes and listen for the rhythm that limericks are known for. The final analysis? You guys are great and you love writing about your cousins.

In fact you inspired the following  limerick:
There once was a family of Hoover’s
County Wabash from the state of the Hoosiers
Cousin Dave was a hoot
And the women all cute
When writing limericks there were no losers.

Being a family of 4-Her’s who knew their way around the show ring, the competition was set up nearly the same way. We are going to announce the honorable mention mentions; then the second place winner and finally the best of show. The rest can pick up their participants ribbon on the way out, but you should all know that you are all winners in my book.

First off showing great promise by winning the Jr. participant category is Michelle Stilger;
Joe, Max, and Sam
Together like green eggs and ham.
They sometimes left me out
But with no worry or doubt
That I am still part of the fam.

Honorable Mention from Sam White:
A 4-H rookie name Sam
Raised a fine pig, not a lamb
It was ironic mixed luck
When Otis died on that truck
Cause the cousins all shared in the ham!

Honorable Mention from Joyce Young:
My cousin always came to bale hay
For dinner sometimes he would stay
Stacked seven pieces high
He’d eat pumpkin pie
Matt White makes us smile everyday.

Honorable Mention from Cathy Heinhold:
We once went to visit Indiana
‘Twas a very long drive in the van-a
Of twins there were two
Singing “Bunny Foo-Foo”
And more cousins, and aunts, and a Gramm-a!

And last but not least in the Honorably Mentioned from Bonnie Hoover;
Today is the day of his birth
He loved his time here on earth
I’m sure he’s a revin
The tractors up in heaven
And farmin for all he’s a worth

The second place limerick was by Sam White. As the runner up, Sam will eat the pie should the first place limerick writer be unable to fulfill their duties.
They move to the farm from the town.
For fun, they’d keep coming round.
Any game of red rover
Would bring them right over.
Or was it just Missy Brown?

That leaves us with the overall winner; Bill Hoover.
Grew up as a Hoover Cousin
Who’s counting, but almost 8 dozen
You could call yourself cool
When allowed to play pool
Cause Burt’s basement was always a buzzin.

Congratulations, everyone. You did great. I think that the only thing that could make next year’s limerick challenge better is if someone invited all of the Hoover’s to their house in late July. All of the limericks could be placed on a table (those unable to attend could mail their entries in) and the afternoon could be spent reminiscing, eating, and voting on the best entry. That way the winner would get their pie from the lovely Miss Beverly right away.

Take care,


Roger 

No comments:

Post a Comment