Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Momma, why would you take my kodachrome?


Dear Blog Reader

I hope this finds you doing well. I have been excited to find that the trees do have leaves. I had wondered. But yesterday, out in the country, where we don’t have the heat retaining properties of the big city, the woods have reached that critical mass. They trees are more than sticks around a trunk. We are rescued once again. I had worried that there was a real chance of succumbing to carbon dioxide poisoning. Without any viable chlorophyll converting CO2 to oxygen, I was starting to fear that we may all keel over from oxygen depravation. We are saved.

I wonder sometimes if the reason the birds migrate each fall is because they are very sensitive to lower oxygen levels brought on by the lack of photosynthesis from depleted chlorophyll. Weren’t the canaries kept in the mine for that very reason? They have these tiny little lungs. Yet they need lots of oxygen to keep their mitochondria working through the Krebs cycle while they are furiously flapping there wings trying to fool the laws of gravity. Who knows? This may be a grand design. Maybe the Grand Old Designer gave the most mobile of the creatures really small lungs so that they would move out of town every year. And cumulatively, the oxygen saved provided enough life giving gas for us less mobile bipeds and quadrupeds the ability to get through the winter. It is just a thought.

I have a friend who knows much more than I do. He stated that research has been done that shows that during high summer, when the days are long, the corn is tall and the trees are in their glory, the atmospheric oxygen levels actually increase. He stated that is the reason athletic endeavors are improved during this time period. I must admit that July, August, and September have my fastest times for riding. I suppose that only works for the country folk. You who live in the concrete jungle are on your own.

See, I told you that there was some use for all of that stuff you learned, or they tried to teach you in high school. Paul Simon didn’t know what he was talking about and Mr. Ashburn did. Now get out there and learn something today.

Take care,

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment