Monday, January 6, 2014

Hungry?


Dear blog reader

I hope that this finds you doing well. I hope that you have not succumbed to all of the snow and cold. The Sharritts have been better. We have had a loss in our lives. The mother hen, an electric space heater that the lovely Miss Beverly and I would drag from room to room allowing us to enjoy a 70 degree micro climate as we found a spot to sit, committed suicide. All of this talk of killer cold weather, stay inside, stay home from work, don't lick the flag pole, dispirited the mother hen so badly that she caught on fire.

While snuggling with the lovely Miss Beverly late on a cold Saturday morning, I snuck my arm out from under the covers and hit the on switch. Poof went the heater and an acrid gray smoke came out of the vents that had, here to for, bathed us with life invigorating heat. I scurried out of bed, unplugged the mother hen, and put her out on the front porch and snuggled back into bed with Bev. It is sad that all of the doom and gloom caused the mother hen to succumb, to give up and to pull the plug so to speak.

Anyway, I suppose that we will survive. The cold will ebb. The days will lengthen. We will have to learn to get along without the mother hen. Fortunately, everyone else was out buying eggs, milk and bread for winter storm French toast, leaving the space heater aisle unobstructed when the Lovely Miss Beverly went out later in the day. Luck was with her and she came home with the parabolic dish of glow. So far it has sustained us nicely.

It is tempting to write about the weather, or mother nature (I refuse to capitalize her so shut up spell checker.) It is tempting to write about how the b*&#% is out to kill us. 11 below (I know that is nothing to my friends in 44 below Minnesota) with 30 mile per hour windsl, this is not a trifling matter to my Indiana blog friends.

It really is too easy a target; writing about the weather when it is this extreme. It still is nothing compared to the blizzard of 78. I look out my window on the world now and I can see fences. I could not back then. They were covered in these gigantic snow drifts. So I just need to calm down a little; take a deep breath and write about what I had intended to write about all along.

Way back in November, the family went to see the Hunger Games. It was very enjoyable and convinced me to go ahead and get the trilogy of books so that I would be up to speed when the final installment hit the celluloid in the next year or so. As we were leaving, we met two of Ben and Grace’s high school teachers. They had their children and friends along. We were talking about the movie and it struck me; I wonder if these teachers had taught the kids about the book 1984. Isn’t that what the Hunger Games are really? They really are just 1984 with a hopeful message.

That was the other thing that struck me about the water cooler conversations about the Hunger Games. Person after person reported that the books really depressed them. As I was reading, I just couldn’t see it. You knew that Katniss was going to win. You should read 1984 if you want to slog through something with no hope. So that is what I did. I slogged through the Hunger Games Trilogy and then leapt straight into 1984.

These are some of the things that struck me. First, the Hunger Games was published by the Scholastic Corporation. You remember Scholastic don’t you; the monthly book club for kids. It was always trying to get us to buy the Witch of Blackbird Pond during my formative years. I only wanted to buy that year’s edition of the Guinness Book of World Records. Was the world Tallest Man still alive, and had anyone dethroned the worlds fattest man who was buried in a piano box? He was huge.  So Scholastic published the Hunger Games. By definition, they published this story for the youth of America. It just happened to cross over and sneak out of the furtive imaginations of our youth.

Second, the heroine was very self-centered. This isn’t surprising since the author, as many authors do, wrote a story with which her target audience recognize and make a connection. Now before the youth of America starts whining that it isn’t fair that I am stating they can recognize themselves in a self-centered, center of the universe heroine, I want to taunt them and say pay your own health insurance for a while child. Why wasn’t the premise that the President of a totalitarian state cares about a 16 year old girl dismissed out of hand? Only in an age of twitter, facebook, and viral videos would we have faith that one person could change the world and the delusion to think that it could be us.

Sure it is about martyrdom. The Hunger Games uses the device of martyrdom to change the world. Orwell, on the other hand, was very specific that the party and big brother made sure that there were no martyrs. You were rehabilitated until you loved the state and then killed. You were never allowed to check out in a state of hatred. That was how the party would never change. With no martyrs there was no hatred to stoke the masses, this left no hope of over throwing the state.

It is interesting however that in the new world order, the Hunger Games does not martyr the heroine either. In a self-centered world, the heroine can have surrogates die for them. They provide the emotional energy to turn the crowds, to spur them on, while the heroine channels their energy with just a few scratches on her chinny chin chin to show that she too was down for the fight. In the end, it was just the threat of self-annihilation that was enough to turn the tide. I bet there are some Vietnamese Buddhist monks that are kicking their charged remains right now. “You mean I didn’t have to strike the match and self emulate? Damn!”

It strikes me that Orwell hit the nail on the head when his protagonist, who was just as individualized, was hunted down, tortured, broken and then killed; not making a dent in the totalitarian rule that had enslaved society. That view, while bleak, is more realistic of the individual disconnected from those around them making a difference.

The individual does not change society. We are not the center of the universe. When we see ourselves as individuals; unconnected, unable to empathize or recognize other person’s motivations, desires and contributions, we delude ourselves. We see ourselves as saviors, and yet have nothing to save.

Take care

Roger 

No comments:

Post a Comment