Sunday, November 3, 2013

Stop messing with me.


Dearest blog reader.

I hope this finds you doing well. I am fine. Yes, looking through properly focused glasses gives one a different perspective and a better outlook on life.

I finished last week's blog with the thought of coasting down hill after a long trip up hill. I did not realize how prophetic those sentiments would be. All week long, I had nothing to write about. There was that one thing at work, but I have made it my personal rule not to write about work. I was tempted. I was walking through the valley of the shadow of idea death. I had nothing and three of my prime writing days were past. I should have been in full editing and revision mode, and I had nothing.

Thankfully, life continued. Government is still ignorant and is happily churning out ideas that make my libertarian heart cringe; stupid, vapid ideas providing easy opportunities for ridicule and derision.

First, my friends at the N eophytes S tanding A round got caught red handed, or is that red eared, for listening to German chancellor, Angela Merkel’s cell phone calls. The Germans cried foul.  All of Europe has cried that "You can't spy on your allies." The Germans have demanded an apology. To which I reply in nationalistic fervor, "don't hold your breath." I do not remember any apology from the N ubbin S couring A colytes to the American people for eavesdropping on our phone calls or for reading this blog without contributing to my reader stats. Far from apologizing, I have read of no repudiation or cessation of the practice. You will know when I have heard the apology, and the practice has stopped. I will immediately stop using the clever ruse that I have successfully employed to confuse certain unnamed supercomputers, but don’t hold your breath.

So while the Germans were turning blue from holding their, waiting for an apology, breath, our local government was busy playing nanny state, bending the laws of nature, the calendar and recognized holidays. They changed Halloween from October 31, to November 1 for child safety; the big sissies. They got too scared to dress up in scary costumes and scream boo at the doors of friends, neighbors, and strangers. If a miscreant youth had tried to extort cheap chocolate candy from me on November 1 without the official auspices of the authorities, I would have released my Rottweiler on the grounds on my spacious estate. This would have provided a challenge since I don't own a Rottweiler. Maybe I could have rented one. Who knows?

I just know that I dislike sissies and I don't like people who don't have the good sense to regulate their own lives. Sure, it was going to be a stormy Halloween night. The weather guy gave us plenty of warning. Bored, for a lack of hurricanes this season, he hit the panic button for central Indiana severe weather potential on Wednesday. "Beware strong winds, heavy rain, high potential for severe weather", were his clarion calls. In more self-reliant times, hearing the sincere and maybe accurate predictions, tough minded people would have had two choices.

The more timid could be sad. They could say "I am sorry kids. It is too dangerous to go out this year. Maybe next year." Clearly, this would be an unpopular and possibly crushing decision for the youths of central Indiana. However, the parent's tough minded gift would have been more valuable than two bags of candy; teaching the youths that life is full disappointment, there is always next year, and this too shall pass.

The more brazen and adventurous could dress their children up as witches wearing ruby shoes; secretly hoping that they would win the most authentic costume when a house landed on them. Clearly, this would be a popular and possibly crushing decision for the youths of central Indiana. However, this parent's tough minded gift would have been more valuable than two bags of candy; teaching the youths that life may be dangerous but you can't let fear rule your life, get out there keep your eyes open and get ready to run if a house is about land on you. Thankfully, my niece and nephew in Illinois is counted in the second camp. Michelle and Joe were proud of the fact that they just went anyway was we were discussing the topic this weekend during a visit.

First it is Halloween. What's next Christmas? Rather than calling on a drunken reindeer with his red nose so bright to lead the way on a foggy Christmas Eve, are we going to postpone Christmas until the weather is safer? What would happen to Boxing Day? Would it cause panic attacks in Canada or England? Will Boxing Day the 26th or the 27th this year? When will the governor declare the change? It’s just too much.

It won’t stop there. The next thing you know the nanny state will decide to change the time twice a year. The next thing you know I will be having the following conversation with the Lovely Miss Beverly when waking up in the Illinois relative’s bedrooms on the first Sunday of November.

Bev: “What time is it?”
Roger: “Depends.”
Bev: “On what.”
Roger: “The ipad says 6:47. At home it is 7:47. Yesterday, it was 8:47. Ouch!
Bev: “What’s wrong?”
Roger: “That made my head hurt.

Take care,

Roger.

No comments:

Post a Comment