Sunday, October 6, 2013

You may not want to touch that, honey?


Dear Blog Reader:

I hope that this finds you doing well. I am fine. I made my last deposit of seed into the ground over the weekend; a nice planting of greens that should adorn the table nicely for Thanksgiving with a little help of some row cover. I also wasted some carrot and beet seed. I am fairly certain that it is too late even with the help of row cover. However, hope springs eternal and we may catch a break and have a mild mid to late fall and I will have homegrown carrots and beets for the cornucopia that will be our Thanksgiving table.

Firewood cutting is proceeding a pace: five loads cut and six more to go. September, with its five weekends has certainly set a blistering pace. October will not be sustainable. There is the Hilly Hundred and some other extravaganza to occupy my time.

Speaking of the Hilly Hundred, I had a close encounter with the Assassin Deer from Hell on Tuesday night. It was nearly twilight and I was foolishly unaware of my surroundings; thinking diligently on a work problem in the caverns of my mind. Suddenly, there is movement to the left in the periphery of my vision. It startles me out of my reverie. By the time I focus, I see a 10 point buck racing out of the edge of a corn field, bound across the road 30 feet in front of me, cut across a newly cut bean field and race towards a small woods 400 yards to the east. In hopes that social media will activate an outraged hunting community, a 10 point buck resides in southern Madison County on CR 750 W about a quarter mile from CR 800 S. Have at it mighty hunters. X marks the spot and your quarry mocks your hunting skills. Hunters unite, bring your quivers full of arrows, your shotguns, and your muzzle loaders and put a smack down on Satan’s spawn.

I have found myself hunting much smaller game this fall. The back roads of my bike route have been covered with early fall caterpillars crossing the road. Why did the caterpillar cross the road? I have no idea as to the answer to that existential question. I can’t imagine what would possess the fuzzy creatures to take a 20 ft trek across hot asphalt with 76 bare feet just to get to another bean field on the other side. I do know that they make great sport on a bicycle. Trying to maneuver a bike with tires ¾ of an inch wide going 16 miles an hour to a target an inch long moving a foot every 30 seconds, is a challenge that I do not seem to tire of.

You may decry my sport as cruel, but have you been paying any attention to your Facebook feed the past three weeks. My constant diet of cute puppies and endearing cat pictures has been interrupted by pictures of children with hives and swollen limbs suffering from the effects of a caterpillar bite. The images of these poor, misshapen, suffering, children have hardened my heart against the cute cuddly harbingers of winter weather. It is a bit surprising that we have let our collective danger detectors become so miscalibrated that we allow our children to kiss bugs without warning. “Oh look Johnny is kissing the fuzzy little bug that masticates all plant life within a 3 foot diameter.”

Really? Come on people. Why weren’t you paying closer attention during biology class? Were you one of the deniers mocking Mr. Ashburn chanting “why should I pay attention? What do I need to know this stuff for? It won’t help me in my McDonald’s career.”? Maybe not but it might keep your offspring from being the poster child for the “You may not want to touch that honey” society.

If you won’t pay any attention in biology class, maybe you should focus for a minute or two on the lessons that nature shows us every day. If a caterpillar can defoliate all cover within in a three foot radius of his home, why don’t the birds look around and swoop in and dine on this big fat juicy future butterfly in these all you can eat clearings? It’s because Mr. Wooly is poisonous. We have the multi-segmented monsters crawling across a road with no cover, no camouflage them being light yellow on a black backdrop and no crows, or starlings, or cardinals or bluejays come cruising in for a quick bite. Nature knows. I don’t know how, but the birds must keep a "field guide of bad for you stuff" back in the nest. How ever it knows, nature knows and is trying to teach us something if we would just pay attention.

I blame Disney for our stupidity. Yes, I am a Disney decrier. Look at their track record; Bambi, that cute little caterpillar in Fox and the Hound, the hallucinogenic smoking blue dude caterpillar in Alice in Wonderland, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus. Disney consistently misrepresents the dangers around us in cute deceptive packaging. Bambi’s iconic cultural status has made it much more difficult to warn people of the existence and nefarious motives of the Assassin Deer. The cute caterpillar from Fox and the Hound make it appear that the caterpillar population is running for its life from the avian hoard when they are actually poisonous time bombs waiting to bite our children. Britney’s and Miley’s transformations into bimbos from celluloid purity is voluminous and from this father’s perspective tragic. And the blue dude? He was just weird.

So come on people. Let’s gather our wits about us and pay attention in school. Let’s listen to our elders when they tell us “That is make believe and this is real life. So you may not want to touch that, honey.”

Take care,

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment