Sunday, June 30, 2013

A day to rest?


Dear blog reader.

I hope that this finds you doing well. I am fine. I am sitting here on the sabbath taking a break finally. June has been a whirlwind of activity: the wedding,  being  "just married" to the lovely Beverly for 28 years, Father's Day, a trip to Seattle for my nephew's graduation, enduring 12 hours in that torture device called coach seating, my 51st birthday, riding 51 miles through Amish country in celebration, eating red velvet cheese cake, giving up caffeine while combating jet lag. In the middle of all of that, "You Said What? Roger" had its 10,000 view. Thanks to you.

Life is full and a bit too exciting; not to mention a bit bruising to the bank account.

That's not all. You can extend the time frame a few weeks and pick up other huge events; riding 360 miles covering Indiana for Habitat for Humanity, Mother's Day, Ben finally serving out his 18 year, day-prison sentence and earning his elementary education degree in spite of the educational system's desire to bore the motivation to learn out of him.

Is it any wonder that I came to last Monday a bit exhausted, frazzled, and worn out? I went to work and struggled all day to make the connection. My meeting leadership skills at one point were so poor that I had to apologize for being off my game. All last week, I struggled to get home and to bed early to recharge enough for the next day.

Don't get me wrong. This has been a self-inflicted injury. I enjoyed every minute of it; well every minute except the 720 in the clutches of American Airlines. The 360 miles was a joy. Ben's graduation party and the care his friends gave him was a joy to behold. I was so excited about Mother's Day that I gave Bev her present 3 days early. The wedding extravaganza was a sight to behold; complete with the epic struggle against and over Mother Nature. The time in Seattle celebrating Jon's graduation was fun and the site seeing lived up to the hype. Eating the Amish children's entrepreneurial cookies while dodging 51 miles of horse apples, dreaming about 4 layers of red velvet cake and cheese cake was sustaining. I would not have said no to any of it.

Yet, in the end, I was exhausted.

Everything has its time.  It is time to rest.

Take care

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment