Sunday, April 28, 2013

Is it Christmas yet?


Dearest blog reader

I hope that this finds you doing well.  I am fine. As I stand looking west in the wedding meadow, watching the sunset approach at the end of a blustery day, I cast the last of the thorn trees into the fire. Hallelujah!  My face is covered in soot. My back hurts so bad that I doubt that I am actually the same person who managed to ride 80 miles to Bloomington a mere month ago. I must have been dreaming that I made that ride.

One job is done; crossed off the wedding list. One million more are left on a list that will end with “cry uncontrollably” as I walk down the aisle with Grace. Let's ignore thoughts of that for a while.

Rich butterscotch cookies were the cookies of the week. I was a little disappointed. The cookbook editor was apologetic. They were apologizing that the recipe took a pound of butter. I say stand tall and proud; at least until they cart you off for your angioplasty. I have already figured out the way around that. I augment all of my cookie recipes with a couple of Lipitor; no muss, no fuss multi-tasking.

Speaking of epicurean delights, last week while you were enjoying reading Bev’s blog about the mother of the bride’s dress, (didn’t she do great?) she and I were out in downtown Indianapolis enjoying dinner and square dancing. The square dancing was great. The caller was great; the supper not so much. How can you serve dinner to Hoosiers who would be interested in square dancing and not serve bread? It was an epicurean desert, not dessert, nor delight. The dancing was so much fun Bev and I are going again in May. I think that I will smuggle my own bread in. Is that a baguette in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

 I want to thank all of you who have left your flannel sheets on the bed. I have heard about a couple of you who have panicked and tempted the fates with their removal. However, in spite of panicky flanks, the center has continued to hold. The apple trees have just started to bloom. Bev and I had a fire out on the patio last night and hope sprang eternal that I would be drinking fresh unpasteurized apple cider there in September. 

Just one more week to go. Next week at this time, I will be finishing the first leg of cover Indiana. For those who care, the weather will be Sunday; sunny and 61, Monday; rainy and 64, and Tuesday; cloudy and 67. I will be on a bike, riding for a good cause and getting to know my fellow riders. I am looking forward to it. It is a goal that has grown over three years from “I hope I don’t die trying to get around this country mile” to 350 miles in a week.

I want to thank those who sponsored me. Your generosity is amazing. You will buy a lot of shingles for Habitat for Humanity. Why shingles? It is obvious. You’re the tops. If you have been putting it off, there is still time to donate. Simply go to http://www.hfhcoverindiana.org/ and hit the make a donation button.

I had my bike tuned up last week. I have been training hard. In March I road 485 miles. Work was tougher this month and wedding plans had to be executed so I cut back to around 375 miles. I feel very ready. One of my sponsors has given me the topic that they want me to write about for their leg of the trip. Becky wants me to write about the bible story that is most like this ride.  I have been thinking about it and I know which one I will use. I was telling Grace about the topic and she knew exactly the story I was going to use in a second. Actually, it is my favorite bible story and I can make it fit any situation. Stay tuned. It’s a doozy.

Becky has put her topic on the board. That means that I still need topics from Meg, Bev, Sue, Susan, and Amy.  Any topic is fine. Just email them to me or leave them in the comment section.

This week, I will pack my bags, throw my ipad and charger in the suit case, make sure that I have my sun screen, and my tooth brush. Every morning this week, I will wake up and ask, “is it Christmas yet?”

Take care,

Roger

 

No comments:

Post a Comment