Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Chicken Crossed the Road?


Dearest Blog Reader;

I hope that this finds you doing well. It leaves my typing fingers a little sore. I upped the training rides for the Cover Indiana ride this past week. 50 miles at a 15 mph clip a week ago Saturday; 75 miles yesterday at only 14 miles per hour, plus assorted 15 milers after work. I have no idea if that is good or not; if I will be able to complete six consecutive 60 mile rides. It does give me pause.  The poet in me thinks that the first down stroke on that Sunday morning in May will be the hardest. The realist in me says “are you crazy? The 10,000th through the 10,000,000th will be much harder.” In the end, I am pretty sure that I will be better off if I don’t take both of them with me. I choose either the poet or the realist and stop dithering.

The 75 mile trip is just a little longer than the longest leg of the Cover Indiana tour. It has been very cool to have this big goal for the 1st week of May. It is what got me out yesterday; the sky was gray and overcast. In places on my ride, the clouds came down to the ground and I was riding in the fog and light mist. It is a goal that convinced me to wonder “where do you go for 75 miles?” It is a goal that delighted me to find that you can go from my door to my daughter’s door in 76 miles. So I went the extra mile to catch up with Grace, eat a wonderful pasta lunch and an get the opportunity to warm up as my body cooled down. It is a goal where I confused March 16th low 40 degree weather with May 6th 68 degree weather, so I did not wear enough warm weather gear and felt like an ice cube the last 10 miles with the 14 mph wind cutting through me.

While my legs were pretty tired at the end of both rides, I am more concerned about how I am going to hold my head up out over my handlebars for the 360 miles this May. You wouldn’t think that it would be a huge challenge. I don’t have a freakishly large head. I manage to walk around all day long without propping my head up. I don’t have to take 5 minute breaks every hour to lay my head on a pillow or let my chin slump to my chest. I have had pretty good luck at keeping my head erect all day long. However, it appears that different forces are exerted on the noodle when leaning forward on a bike for 3.5 or 5.5 hours while riding the back roads of central Indiana.

My fifty miler did give me a certain amount of confidence that I can make the entire route in six weeks. Actually, it was not the 50 miles. It was the 32 mile mark. I had been following the same route as previous rides. In the past, at the 32 mile mark, I would have been getting to the end of my rope. I couldn’t go any further. However, last week, I felt really good at 32 miles. Hope is at the end of the tunnel. I was confident that I will survive the first day of the six day journey.

The confidence that was garnered at the 32 mile mark was lost at the 73 mile mark yesterday. I was three miles from home. The best I could muster on my bike with a 14 mile 41 degree cross wind was a paltry 12 miles per hour. I was coming up on the 500 S – SR 9 cross road. I had to stop; look both ways; do the story problem. If a semi-truck leaves that spot 300 yards away at 55 mph and the tired biker leaves his spot at 2 mph, will they meet? Thankfully, I was so tired that the truck was past before I could write out the answer. In that moment, I wondered how and doubted that I was going to make it those last three miles. How am I going to make it 360 miles in May? So the chicken crossed the road; trudged on home, changed out of its bike shoes and slowly put one foot in front of another into the house; goal accomplished.

My other training is going fantastic. I am currently sustaining a pint a day ice cream habit; no problem at all. My head is not getting heavy. My legs are feeling good. My spoon hand is getting fit and toned. I am so ready, to eat the ice cream that you are bringing to meet me on the road. I am ready, to spend and evening with you and yours on an early May evening with the flowers and future of summer opening up to us. I am ready to write every evening about all of those things you want me to write.

I hope that your training is going well.

Take care,

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment