Saturday, February 23, 2013

Late Winter Therapy?


Dearest Blog Reader:

I hope that this finds you doing well. I must admit that the feelings of panicked claustrophobia are starting to rise in my sternum. I look out at the ice covered frozen tundra, sun pouring through my blog writing nook window, mother hen at my feet. I am despondent. When will it end; this endless winter? I braved the boxing day “blizzard” and the deep darkness of January. I rejoiced when the Ground Hog did not see his shadow. Yet, I sit here struggling through my birthright as a Hoosier. What was the dromedary back breaker? I believe that it was the facebook post last evening from a so called “friend” Their son was enjoying the evening practicing baseball; spring training for little leaguers. Argh. Looking at the young man all tanned, smiling, in short sleeves, is that perspiration on his brow, it was almost too much to bear.

Who am I kidding? It is too much to bear; hence the despondency. When I close my eyes, I can see Klinger on MASH running out of the mess tent, tearing off his fur coat, yelling “I can’t take it anymore.” I really can’t take it any more. In six short weeks, I will have rendered unto Caesar that which he felt due. The tulips will bloom. The wedding meadow will be mowed, and this day will be a distant memory, but today it seems so far away. I have an ache in my heart for warm weather, spring flowers, and growing gardens. In theory, in 9 short weeks, I will be embarking on the big bike tour. (Thank you Sue and Amy for your sponsorships).

I believe that the only thing that makes this day bearable is the hope that if it stays cold for a while longer, if we commit to leaving our flannels on the bed until early May, the apples will bloom at the appropriate time and we will be blessed with unpasteurized apple cider from Tranbarger’s apple barn in late September. Won’t it be worth it? The golden brew of fuji, MacIntosh, Granny Smith, red and golden delicious, all squeezed together. Their nectars of sweet and tart mixing together, trickling out of the press as the pressure builds, running down the trough to the holding tank.
 
The first gallon bought along with 2 pecks of an assortment of apples. Service paid for with the question. Change given with a quick answer; "pretty good, should have apples through October." And then at home, the lovely aroma caresses your nose as you open the gallon jug straight from the fridge. You carry the glass out to the patio, sit in the Adirondack, and look out over the woods, the leaves starting to change, and you savor what you have not had for two years.

Then you understand, the cold should persist through early or mid March. Last year, was wrong. Cutting the grass the second week of March is not what God intended. Patience will be rewarded. In time, everything will be put right. While the earth is tilting back to the sun, it is too early to reap all of its benefits. Its lengthened presence is really just the harbinger of the good.

Wait. Wait. Wait. It will come. It will be okay.

Take care,

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment