Sunday, September 30, 2012

Harvest Moon?


Dear Blog Reader:

I hope this finds you doing well. I am fine. I am at the end of a very intense and eventful week. I officially started the wood cutting season Friday. I am three weeks late. However, with taking a day off, and piecing together a three day weekend next week as my employer sees fit to celebrate the capital of Ohio on October 8, (look it up) I hope to get two loads a weekend and get myself back on schedule.  I know that it seems incongruous worried about wood cutting on beautiful 70 degree late September days, but I need twelve loads of wood before the snow flies or next January and February will be tense as I wait for a winter thaw to sneak out and get some wood to tide me over before the next big blizzard.

I do not use the verb "sneak" lightly. Everyone knows that the assassin deer become even more terrible and fearsome during the winter months. In order to be successful, I would have to sneak out to the woods, cut down trees using very loud and not very sneaky chainsaws, split the wood and get back to the safety of the house all before I was discovered by those crafty and cranky deer. They're cold for goodness sakes. They are jealous of our building skills and secretly hate our long winter naps in our warm quilt covered beds with our non-ice covered indoor plumbing. I imagine that is what they hate most. There is nothing worse than urinating on frozen ground and having said urine splash up on your tiny cloven hooves; nothing worse except not being able to wash the urine from your little cloven hooves because the stream is frozen over.

It has been an eventful week on the assassin deer front, as you can guess since the first two paragraphs have been dominated by their sad lots in life. On Monday evening, I was ambushed by two assassins. It had been rainy. The clouds were blocking what little light we receive during the dusk moments of late September. I was on the last leg of my evening ride. As I came upon the elementary school, I heard a series of crashes coming from the corn field on my left. I turned my head quickly left and saw two assassin deer 20 feet away emerging from the cornfield with menace in their eyes. I did not hesitate and swerved my bike towards them and started up a banshee type yell. The yell and the newly purchased helmet light, which is very bright, startled them just enough that their courage waivered. They turned their white little tails and like the French ran away. I chased them 50 yards down the side of the field

With their flight, I was fortunate, because last weekend the assassin deer struck with deadly efficiency. In an article tucked in the middle of the state section in the Indianapolis Star were a few paragraphs that reported an ATV enthusiast was killed in an ATV accident near Peru, Indiana. He had been pinned between his ATV and a tree. The authorities were unsure of the sequence of events that lead to this tragic accident but the accident had occurred the evening before when the victim had told friends that he wanted to go out for one more ride. I say accident smaccident. How does a man alone get accidently pinned to a vertical surface by a vehicle that you have to be on to operate? He doesn’t, not even if alcohol was involved.

Sure you can pop a wheelie and have the vehicle come over and pin you to the ground; a horizontal surface. Sure, you can ride on too steep a grade and have the ATV tip left or right trapping the rider on the ground. Once again, that is a horizontal surface. This man was trapped between this ATV and a vertical tree. I find it incongruous that he stood against the tree, held on to the throttle, put the vehicle in gear, let out on the clutch and had enough speed to pin and subsequently kill himself against a tree. Depending on his girth and arm length the distance traveled may well have been less than 4 inches. Let’s be generous and say that he was fit and had grotesquely long arms, the machine may have traveled 10 inches. How many ATVs can go from zero to twenty in 10 inches? Zero, I tell you.

No the authorities think that we can’t read between the lines. They think that we live in the world of make believe where the rules of physics don’t apply. Well, I for one live in the real world. There are other forces at work here. I think that the byline provides the most important clue of all – Peru, Indiana. Peru, Indiana has long been known as circus city. What do circuses have? They have trained animals; smarter than your average bear types. They look all trained and docile, laying there, chewing their cud, with that thousand yard stare in their eyes.

Look Timmy, I wonder what that trained deer is thinking. I’ll tell you what he is thinking mom. He is thinking if I only had opposable cloven feet I could drive an ATV through the woods and pin unsuspecting humans to vertical surfaces. Then one day one of the smarter ones after walking through a clay pit noticed that the clay sticking to its dewclaw adhering tightly enough that with the proper manipulation and practice it could be used to operate the throttle on an ATV with an automatic transmission. Sure, it would not be able to assassinate a real man; a man that had an ATV with a manual transmission and a clutch. But a sissy, automatic transmission, ATV driving, man would work, and you had to start some where.

But the deer knew nothing but frustration. It had perfected it’s dewclaw mud packing extensions to a science, but it could not be manipulated with the dexterity needed for its awful purposes. It lacked the range of motion and fine motor skills need for its nefarious plot. Then one day as with most evolutionary jumps, outside forces came together to let the assassin deer move beyond antler goring and bicycle ambushes. One day, little Timmy grew up and had his thinking contaminated by Disney. Watching Bambi during his formative years, he was heart broken when Bambi cried over her fallen mother at the hands of the murderous hunter. This injustice must be rectified, Timmy thought.

So Timmy became an animal orthopedic surgeon. He practiced his craft, setting dog and cat legs. Always paying special attention to those cases that involved the lower legs of the cloven foot animals. He would do pro-bono work on goats, sheep, and cows, always perfecting his craft, studying how to give Bambi the tools needed for revenge.

Well, I hope that you are happy Timmy. Your dreams and Bambi’s dreams for murderous terror in the wood have been realized.

So those of you who spent one or two evenings this weekend around a fire enjoying the spectacular Harvest Moon, remember that those campfires were being watched, and in 28 days something else will enjoy the Hunter’s Moon.

Take care,

Roger

No comments:

Post a Comment