Sunday, December 19, 2010

Twas the night after finals?

Twas eight days before Christmas when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring not even a mouse,
The cupboards were stuffed. The fridge, it was full
In hopes into the drive the children would pull
The children had nestled at IU and Ball State
With visions of going out on a date,
And I in my sweats and Bev in her PJ’s
Had just gone to bed at 9:00 on a Friday
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter
Ben on his skateboard the silence did shatter
Into the kitchen he strode then did stumble
Tore open some chips as his tummy did rumble.
The moon shone bright on six new inches of snow
Making me think that to Tampa, I should go.
I would  have moved too until I realized
That In-state tuition is really the prize.
Two nearly grown progeny so lively and slick
We knew in a moment that we must act real quick.
More rapid than reindeer the doggies they came
I whistled and shouted and called them by name
Now Lucy, Now Henry, Now Hugo stop barking
We know a strange car in the drive is out parking
Up to the porch, on through the door
Please kids, don’t leave your wash on the floor.
(I am omitting a couple of lines as the bard
Cause I’ve found that this task is really quite hard)
So on up the stairs the children they flew
Their arms full of stuff but no presents for you
Then in a second I heard from upstairs.
The Bare Naked Ladies were starting to blare
As I turned to Bev and started to pout
“Turn down the sound” she yelled with a shout.
Dressed all in sweats was our daughter Grace
Off to the laundry she started to race.
That bundle of cloths tied up in a pack
She looked like a Sherpa who had just lost her yak.
The couch----how it beckoned! The afghan: how cozy.
I was all covered up. My cheeks turning rosy.
“Come on down here kids, grab me a coke
No I really mean it. It wasn’t a joke.”
“Tell us your story. How were your grades?
Tell us about all the friends you have made”
Mom’s making breakfast what would you like?
Biscuits and gravy. But what’s for tonight?
Go look in the cupboard, there are some baguettes.
But keeping you full, there may be regrets
So much to share and so little time
We’ll stay up way late, way on past nine.
They’ll miss their friends, we’ll miss the quiet
For them it’s all facebook, but to us sounds of riot.
One week's okay, two weeks a stretch
Parents cramp our style when they ask us to fetch.
We’ll poke and we’ll tease, then have serious talk,
Ineffable love keeps us close in our walk.
In two weeks they’ll exclaim as they drive out of sight.
Great Christmas Break to all, you all are alright.

Take Care

Roger

1 comment:

  1. Good to know Sharritt family is together again. I wish you an "awesome" (I learned back then) christmas.

    Burak

    ReplyDelete